Indian National Movement
Posted on : 15 Feb 2020Views: 499
- Nationalism had gathered its forces during the war years (1914-18) and the nationalists were expecting major political gains after the war.
- The economic situation in the post-war years had taken a turn for the worse. There was a rise in prices and then a depression in economic activity. Indian industries, which had prospered during the war because foreign imports of manufactured goods had ceased, now faced losses and closure. The Indian industrialists wanted the protection of their industries through the imposition of high customs duties and grants of government aid; they realized that a strong nationalist movement and an independent Indian Government alone could secure these. The workers, facing unemployment and high prices and living in great poverty, also turned actively towards the nationalist movement.
- The First World War gave a tremendous impetus to nationalism all over Asia and Africa as the people of Asia and Africa were suddenly plunged from high hopes into deep despair.
- A major impetus to the national movements was given by the impact of the Russian Revolution.
- The Russian revolution brought home to the colonial people the important lesson that immense strength and energy resided in the common people. It was the common people who had not only overthrown the mighty Czarist government, the most despotic and one of the most militarily powerful regimes of the day but also defended the consequent military intervention against the revolution by Britain, France, the United States, and Japan.
- The nationalist movement in India was also affected by the fact that the rest of the Afro-Asian world was also convulsed by nationalist agitations after the war. Nationalism surged forward not only' in India but also in Turkey, the Arab Countries of Northern Africa and West Asia, Iran, Afghanistan, Burma, Malaya, Indonesia, Indo-China, the Philippines, China, and Korea.
Article Related Questions
Which of the following events gave impetus to the Indian national movement
1.World war one
3.Nationalist agitations in Afro-Asia world.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1, 2 and 3