Intensified Pulse Polio Immunization (IPPI) Programme
Posted on : 24 Jan 2020Views: 3501
- Intensified Pulse Polio Immunization Programme has been launched all over India.
- India has been declared polio free along with countries of South East Asian Region of WHO on 27th March 2014.
- Pulse Polio is an immunisation campaign which was established by the government of India to eliminate poliomyelitis in India.
- The Pulse Polio was started with the global initiative of eradication of polio in 1988 following World Health Assembly resolution in 1988, Pulse Polio Immunization Programme was launched in India in 1995.
- Hence every year vaccination was provided to all children under the age of five years to fight polio.
- According to the national health portal, 2020 polio day program is going to be held on January 19th.
- Polio is a very infectious disease, also known as poliomyelitis or infantile paralysis caused by the poliovirus which leads to muscle weakness and inability to move among people. It spreads easily from person to person.
- Some polio slogan:
- "Do Boond Zindagi ki"
- "Spare the children, give the vaccine"
- "Prevent Birth Defect."
- "Stop Polio, Vaccinate."
- "Get A Drop, Stop The Strop."
- Vellore, (Tamil Nadu) became the first Indian town to become 100% polio-free through the pulse strategy, and the rest of India adopted the strategy in 1995. On March 27, 2014, India was declared as polio-free along with countries of South-East Asian Region of WHO.
- IPV (Inactivated Polio Vaccine) is more effective than OPV (Oral Polio Vaccine). It increases intestinal immunity in children who have been already immunized with OPV.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Intensified Pulse Polio Immunization (IPPI) Programme
1.It has been launched only in some selected districts in India
2.Polio can spread easily from person to person.
3.Vellore in Tamil Nadu became the first Indian town to become 100% polio-free.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 2 and 3 only