International Geological Congress 2020
Posted on : 17 Dec 2019Views: 1225
- India is gearing up to host the 36th International Geological Congress (IGC) in the capital during the first week of March next year.
- The theme of the forthcoming conference is ‘Geosciences: The Basic Science for a Sustainable Development’.
- Popularly described as the Olympics of Geosciences, the IGCs are a prestigious global geoscientific events held once in four years and participated by around 5000-6000 geoscientists from all across the world.
- It may be noted that India is the only Asian country to host the event twice. In 1964, India had hosted it for the first time, which was the 22nd IGC.
- The event is being funded by the Ministry of Mines (MoM) and Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) with the support of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) and the national Science Academies of Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
- Geological Survey of India is the nodal agency for organizing the event.
About International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS)
- The International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS) is an international non-governmental organization devoted to international cooperation in the field of geology.
- The IUGS was founded in 1961 and is a Scientific Union member of the International Council for Science (ICSU), which it recognizes as the coordinating body for the international organization of science.
- The Union's Secretariat is currently located at the Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences in Beijing, China.
- IUGS is a joint partner with UNESCO for the International Geoscience Programme (IGCP) and they also participate in the Global Geoparks Network (GGN).
- The International Union of Geological Sciences is the main scientific sponsor of the International Geological Congress (IGC), which takes place every four years.
- The 34th Session of the International Geological Congress took place in Brisbane, Australia in August 2012, where IUGS-IGC Council decided that India will host the 36th session in 2020.
- The 36th IGC will be jointly hosted by India, Bangladesh,Nepal, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
Article Related Questions
With reference to International Geological Congress 2020, consider the following statements
1.India is hosting the event for the first time.
2.The event is being funded by India Meteorological Department.
3.Geological Survey of India is the nodal agency for organizing the event.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 3 only