International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) has recently developed Golden Rice
Posted on : 31 Dec 2019Views: 886
- The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) and its national research partners have developed Golden Rice to complement existing interventions to address Vitamin A deficiency (VAD).
- Golden Rice regulatory applications are currently under review in the Philippines and Bangladesh, and Golden Rice will only be made available to the public once all necessary permits have been received.
- Golden Rice is a new type of rice that contains beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A), which is converted into vitamin A as needed by the body and gives the grain its golden color. It is developed through genetic engineering and produces two new enzymes that complete the beta-carotene expression in the rice grain.
- It can be grown just like ordinary rice and varieties containing the GR2E Golden Rice trait have the same yield and agronomic performance as their conventional counterparts.
- Golden Rice is the first purposefully created bio-fortified food.
- Biofortification is the process of improving the nutritional quality of food crops. This can be achieved through agronomic practices, conventional breeding or more advanced biotechnology tools such as genetic engineering and genome editing. These advanced techniques are used for biofortification when micronutrient content cannot be significantly increased through conventional practices.
Article Related Questions
International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) has recently developed Golden Rice. Consider the following statements in this regard
1.Golden Rice is the first purposefully created bio-fortified food to address zinc deficiency.
2.Biofortification improves the nutritional quality of food crops through agronomic practices.
3.IRRI is world’s premier intergovernmental organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 2 only