Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action
Posted on : 08 Jan 2020Views: 104
- Iran has announced that it will fully withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), commonly known as the Iran nuclear deal, following the U.S. targeted strike that killed the country's Quds Force Commander Qassem Soleimani in Iraq.
- From now on Iran will no longer commit to any limits on the level of uranium enrichment, stockpile of nuclear fuel and also nuclear research and development.
- The deal, which was orchestrated by the Obama administration, had been crumbling ever since Trump withdrew the US from it in May 2018.
- Since the US withdrawal, Iran has successively breached key constraints of the JCPOA.
- The nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), was designed to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
- It restricted Iran's enrichment of uranium, which is used to make reactor fuel but also nuclear weapons, to 3.67%. Iran was also required to redesign a heavy-water reactor being built, whose spent fuel would contain plutonium suitable for a bomb, and allow international inspections.
- Before July 2015, Iran had a large stockpile of enriched uranium and almost 20,000 centrifuges, enough to create eight to 10 bombs, according to the White House at the time.
- US experts estimated back then that if Iran had decided to rush to make a bomb, it would take two to three months until it had enough 90%-enriched uranium to build a nuclear weapon - the so-called "breakout time".
- Iran's current "breakout time", should it attempt to build a nuclear bomb, is estimated to be around a year, but this could be reduced to half a year or even a matter of months if enrichment levels are increased to 20%, for example.
- France, the UK, China, and Russia, Germany, and the European Union were also signatories to the deal.
Article Related Questions
Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action seen recently in news is related to?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.India-Japan nuclear energy dialogue
2.Iran nuclear deal
3.India’s plan of action towards reducing environmental pollution by 2022
4.Australia’s plan to save coral reefs of Great Barrier Reef
Right Ans : Iran nuclear deal