Kerala to curb alien plants especially Senna spectabilis in Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve
Posted on : 09 Jan 2020Views: 98
- The spread of invasive plants, especially Senna spectabilis, is posing a major threat to the forest areas of the reserve, owing to its quick growth and coppicing character.
- Invading larger areas: A recent study of the Ferns Nature Conservation Society recorded the presence of the plant in 78.91 sq km area of the sanctuary. The tree species was found in nearly 10 sq km area of the 344.44 sq km sanctuary around five years ago. Now, it had invaded to more than 50 sq km of the sanctuary.
- Emerging as a trap for open lands: Due to mass flowering and drying of bamboo species in Wayanad, lots of open spaces were created which had been occupied by Senna spectabilis. The vayal ecosystem (marshy land) of the forest area now has this plant in large numbers.
- Threat to tiger reserves: With the adjacent tiger reserves (Bandipur and Nagarhole tiger reserves in Karnataka and the Mudumalai tiger reserve in Tamil Nadu) also under threat.
- Invasive alien species are plants, animals, pathogens and other organisms that are non-native to an ecosystem, and which may cause economic or environmental harm or adversely affect human health.
- In particular, they impact adversely upon biodiversity, including decline or elimination of native species - through competition, predation, or transmission of pathogens - and the disruption of local ecosystems and ecosystem functions.
- In 2016, the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) has for the first time compiled a list of 157 alien invasive animal species.
Article Related Questions
The Forest and Wildlife Department is planning to adopt steps to arrest the rampant growth of invasive plants especially Senna spectabilis in Kerala, with reference to that consider the following statements
1.Invasive alien species are plants, animals, pathogens and other organisms that are non-native to an ecosystem.
2.Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) has for the first time compiled a list of 157 alien invasive animal species.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2