Kimberley Process Certification Scheme
Posted on : 29 Nov 2019Views: 414
- The Kimberley Process is an international certification scheme that regulates trade in rough diamonds. It aims to prevent the flow of conflict diamonds, while helping to protect legitimate trade in rough diamonds.
- In 1998, certain rebel movements in Africa (Sierra Leone, Angola, D.R. of Congo, Liberia) were selling, among other things, illegally obtained diamonds – known as conflict diamonds – to fund their wars against legitimate governments.
- With a view to find ways to stop trade in conflict diamonds, world’s diamond industry, United Nations, Governments and leading NGOs came together and in November 2002 at Interlaken, where the final draft of the Kimberley Process measures were ratified by more than fifty nations.The KPCS came to into effect from 1st January, 2003 and evolved into an effective mechanism for stopping the trade in conflict diamonds.
- The Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) outlines the rules that govern the trade in rough diamonds. The KPCS has developed a set of minimum requirements that each participant must meet.
- The KP is not an international organization. It has no permanent offices or permanent staff. It relies on the contributions under the principle of ‘burden-sharing' of participants, supported by industry and civil society observers.
- Neither can the KP be considered as an international agreement from a legal perspective, as it is implemented through the national legislations of its participants.
- The Kimberley Process (KP) participants are states and regional economic integration organizations that are eligible to trade in rough diamonds.
- As from November 2018, there are 55 participants representing 82 countries, with the European Community counting as a single participant.
- The participants include all major rough diamond producing, exporting and importing countries. The diamond industry, through the World Diamond Council, and civil society groups are also integral parts of the KP.
- India is a founding member of KP.
- India has been actively involved in the development of KP as an important protocol in trade of diamonds which has ensured that 99.8% of the diamonds in the world are conflict free.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Kimberley Process Certification Scheme
1. The Kimberley Process is an international certification scheme that regulates trade in rough diamonds.
2. The Kimberley Process is an international organization.
3. It has permanent offices and permanent staff in Africa.
Which of the above statement is/are correct?
2.1 and 2 only
3.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 only