Kolkata Port has been renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port
Posted on : 15 Jan 2020Views: 118
- The Kolkata Port has been renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port.
- The Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi announced this on the occasion of 150th year’s celebrations of the Kolkata Port Trust.
- Mr. Modi launched several Port led development projects worth Rs 600 cr rupees to mark the day.
- The projects include upgraded Ship repair facility at Netaji Subhash Dry Dock, upgraded railway insfrascture of Kolkata dock system of the Kolkata Port for smooth cargo movement and river front development scheme.
- On the occasion, the Prime Minister said that the Government has taken up plans for expansion of inland waterways connectivity through integrated transport policy.
- The centre is modernizing old Ports and developing new Ports through Sagarmala project.
- He also honored two oldest pensioners of the Port Smt. Nagina Bhagat of 105 years and 100-year old Mr. Naresh Chandra Chakraborty on the occasion besides launching the Port Anthem at the event.
- Kolkata Port is the only riverine Major Port in India, situated 232 kms up-stream from the Sandheads. Its navigational channel is one of the longest in the world.
- The Port which was once considered the most important port in the country still remains the premier port which has been rightly called the gateway to Eastern India.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Kolkata Port
1.The Kolkata Port has been renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port.
2.It was constructed in 1975 during Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
3.It is the only riverine Major Port in India.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only