Koshi-Mechi River Linking Project
Posted on : 01 Jan 2020Views: 111
- The Centre has approved a project worth Rs 4,900-crore Kosi- Mechi river interlining project, providing a major lease of life to Bihar’s Seemanchal region.
- It is the country’s second major river interlinking project after Ken-Betwa of Madhya Pradesh.
- This project is unique in many ways. It will not only relieve large swathes of north Bihar from the menace of recurring floods but also provide irrigation for over 2.14 lakh hectares of command areas spread across the districts of Araria, Kishanganj, Purnia and Katihar in North Bihar.
- This interlinking project envisages diversion of part of surplus water of Kosiriver through existing Hanuman Nagar barrage to the Mahananda basin.
- Mechi is an important tributary of Mahananda River. Its basin however remains mostly deficient in providing adequate water for irrigation.
Article Related Questions
Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding Koshi-Mechi River Linking Project?
1.It is the country’s first river interlinking project.
2.Mechi is an important tributary of Mahanadi River.
Select the correcr answer using the code given below:
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Neither 1 nor 2