Posted on : 07 Dec 2019Views: 288
- The Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change’ is a comprehensive yearly analysis tracking progress across 41 key indicators.
- Without drastic reductions in emissions, escalating temperature increases will burden the next generation with high levels of malnutrition, weaker immune systems and higher risk of premature death.
- As temperatures rise, study predicts a reduction in yields of staple crops such as maize, rice and soybean, which will cause prices to rise and leave infants vulnerable to malnutrition, resulting in stunted growth and long-term developmental problems.
- Small children are particularly vulnerable to rises in infectious diseases caused by increasing temperatures and changing rainfall patterns.
- Warmer temperatures caused an increase in the spread of a bacteria that causes diarrhoeal diseases and wound infections.
- Over the past 30 years the number of climatically suitable days for Vibrio bacteria (which causes diarrhoea) to thrive have doubled.
- Dengue is also on the spread.
- The damage done in early childhood is persistent and pervasive, with health consequences lasting for a lifetime.
- The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal.
- It is among the world's oldest, most prestigious, and best known general medical journals.
- The journal was founded in 1823 by Thomas Wakley, an English surgeon who named it after the surgical instrument called a lancet.
- The journal publishes original research articles, review articles, editorials, book reviews, correspondence, as well as news features and case reports.
- The journal has editorial offices in London, New York, and Beijing.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements about “The Lancet report”
1.The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal.
2.It is among the world's oldest, most prestigious, and best known general medical journals.
3.The journal has editorial offices in London, New York, Beijing and India.
Which of the above statement is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.1 and 3 only
3.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 2 only