Posted on : 30 Dec 2019Views: 118
- Acting Chairman and Chief Executive Councillor, LAHDC, Kargil inaugurated two-day Kargil Ladakh Losar- Traditional New Year Cultural and Literary Festival at Language Center New Academy Complex.
- The two day cultural and literary extravaganza has been organized by Ladakh Academy of Art, Culture and Languages, Kargil, where around 70 writers, poets, scholars and folk artists of the Balti, Purgi and Shina Dardi tribal groups from different areas of the district are participating.
- Losar festival, which has its origin in the 15th century, celebrates the Ladakhi or Tibetan New Year.
- It is said to last 15 days, but the first 3 days are the most important ones.
- It is mainly celebrated over a period of 3 days in late January or February, according to the Tibetan calendar.
- Humorous events such as the dance of the deer and the amusing battles between the King and his various ministers are highlights of this festival.
- Losar is characterized especially by dancing, music, and a general spirit of merrymaking.
- In Ladakh, Losar is regarded as the most important socio-religious event.
- The auspicious images of the Ibex deer and other symbols are made on the door, walls of kitchen and wooden columns to welcome the New Year.
Article Related Questions
Regarded as the most important socio-religious event of Ladakh, this festival is celebrated to mark the Ladakhi or Tibetan New year. During the festival, Ladakhi Buddhists make religious offerings before their deities in the domestic shrines or in the Gompas. Which of the following festivals best fit the description given above?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
Right Ans : Losar