Posted on : 25 Jan 2020Views: 1900
- The word metamorphic means ‘change of form’. These rocks form under the action of Pressure, Volume, and Temperature (PVT) change.
- Metamorphism occurs when rocks are forced down to lower levels by tectonic processes or when molten magma rising through the crust comes in contact with the crustal rocks or the underlying rocks are subjected to great amounts of pressure by overlying rocks.
- Metamorphism is a process by which already consolidated rocks undergo recrystallization and reorganization of materials within original rocks.
- Mechanical disruption and reorganization of the original minerals within rocks due to breaking and crushing without any appreciable chemical changes is called dynamic metamorphism. The materials of rocks chemically alter and recrystallize due to thermal metamorphism.
- In the process of metamorphism, some rocks grains or minerals get arranged in layers or lines. Such an arrangement of minerals or grains in metamorphic rocks is called foliation or lineation.
- Sometimes minerals or materials of different groups are arranged into alternating thin to thick layers appearing in light and dark shades. Such a structure in metamorphic rocks is called banding.
- Gneissoid, granite, syenite, slate, schist, marble, quartzite etc. are some examples of metamorphic rocks.
Article Related Questions
Which of the following is not correct regarding the Metamorphic Rocks?
1.It forms out of magma and lava from the interior of the earth.
2.Gneissoid, granite, slate, schist, marble, quartzite are examples of metamorphic rocks.
3.Minerals in these rocks are arranged into alternating thin to thick layers appearing in light and dark shades.
4.In these rocks, an arrangement of rocks minerals in layers or lines called foliation.
Right Ans : It forms out of magma and lava from the interior of the earth.