Posted on : 29 Nov 2019Views: 320
- It is an integrated intelligence grid which will connect databases of core security agencies.
- NATGRID was formed with an aim to collect comprehensive patterns of intelligence that can be readily accessed by intelligence agencies and will link 10 user agencies with certain databases that would be procured from 21 organisations.
- The NATGRID will have data related to all immigration entry and exit, banking and financial transactions, credit card purchases, telecom, individual tax payers, air flyers, train travellers besides others to generate intelligence inputs.
- This project faced opposition from intelligence agencies as they felt it would impinge on their territory and possibly result in leaks on the leads they were working on to other agencies.
- The efficiency of the project was questioned as no state agency or police force has access to its database initially.
- Digital databases such as NATGRID can be misused according to some experts. Over the last two decades, the very digital tools that terrorists use have also become great weapons to fight the ideologies of violence.
The 10 agencies which will be able to access the NATGRID data on real time basis are:
- Intelligence Bureau (IB).
- Research & Analysis Wing (R&AW).
- Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Enforcement Directorate (ED).
- Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU).
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC).
- Directorate General of Central Excise and Intelligence (DGCEI).
- Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID)
1. It is an integrated intelligence grid which will connect databases of core security agencies.
2. The NATGRID will also have data related to all immigration entry and exit, banking and financial transactions, credit card purchases, telecom, and individual tax payers among others.
Which of the above statement is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2