NATO leaders to meet today to mark 70th birthday of alliance
Posted on : 04 Dec 2019Views: 454
- The leaders of North Atlantic Treaty Organization, NATO, will meet to mark the 70th birthday of the organization in London.
- The two-day summit includes receptions at Buckingham Palace and Downing Street plus a working session at a golf resort in outer London.
- NATO’s Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said, the alliance needs to address the challenges and opportunities posed by an increasingly powerful China, but added that the alliance does not want to make an enemy out of Beijing.
- The twenty-nine member alliance is the world's biggest military alliance.
- NATO was founded in 1949 for the collective defence of its members, linking the security of the United States with its European allies against the Soviet Union. It witnessed the end of communism, defeating the Soviet Bloc without firing a shot.
- NATO is an alliance of 28 countries bordering the North Atlantic Ocean. It includes the United States, most European Union members, Canada, and Turkey. NATO is an acronym for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- The founding members of NATO signed the North Atlantic Treaty on April 4, 1949. It worked in conjunction with the United Nations, the World Bank, and the International Monetary Fund. The organizations were created during the 1944 Bretton Woods Conference.
- The United States contributes three-fourths of NATO's budget.
- NATO's mission is to protect the freedom of its members. Its targets include weapons of mass destruction, terrorism, and cyber-attacks.
- NATO's 28 members are: Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Each member designates an ambassador to NATO. They supply officials to serve on NATO committees.
- NATO participates in three alliances. They expand its influence beyond its 28 member countries.
- The Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council helps partners become NATO members. It includes 23 non-NATO countries that support NATO's purpose. It began in 1991.
- The Mediterranean Dialogue seeks to stabilize the Middle East. Its non-NATO members include Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Mauritania, Morocco, and Tunisia. It began in 1994.
- The Istanbul Cooperation Initiative works for peace throughout the larger Middle East region. It includes four members of the Gulf Cooperation Council. They are Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates. It began in 2004.
Article Related Questions
The leaders of North Atlantic Treaty Organization, NATO, recently met in London to celebrate 70th birthday of the organization. In this regard, consider the following statements regarding NATO
1.NATO is an alliance of 28 countries bordering the North Atlantic Ocean only.
2.India is the founding member of this organization
3.Each member designates an ambassador to NATO and they supply officials to serve on NATO committees.
Which of the above statement is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only