NEST-New and Emerging Strategic Technologies
Posted on : 07 Jan 2020Views: 188
- With India grappling with issues like the security implications of the introduction of 5G and artificial intelligence, the Indian Foreign Ministry has announced the setting up of a new division on New and Emerging Strategic Technologies (NEST).
- The new division is one of the many specialized desks created in recent years to deal with emerging challenges and scenarios.
- The foreign ministry has created a special desk to increase investment coordination between the different states of India and foreign countries. A second to coordinate strategy on the Indo-Pacific region was created recently.
- The NEST division will act as the nodal point in India’s foreign ministry for all matters connected to new and emerging technologies including exchange of views with foreign governments and coordination with domestic ministries and departments.
- It will also help assess foreign policy and international legal implications of emerging technology and technology-based resources.
- The desk will also be involved in negotiations to safeguard Indian interests at multilateral fora like the United Nations or the G20 where rules governing the use and access to such technologies could be decided.
Article Related Questions
With reference to NEST-New and Emerging Strategic Technologies, consider the following statements
1.Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has announced the setting up of a new division.
2.Aim is to increase investment coordination between the different states of India and foreign countries.
3.The NEST division will act as the nodal point for all matters connected to new and emerging technologies.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 2 and 3 only