New Delhi Declaration on Asian Rhinos, 2019
Posted on : 03 Jan 2020Views: 1160
- India will collaborate with Bhutan, Nepal, Indonesia and Malaysia to increase the population of three species of Asian rhinos, including the Greater one-horned rhinoceros found in the Indian sub-continent.
- The declaration was signed to conserve and review the population of the Greater one-horned, Javan and Sumatran rhinos every four years to reassess the need for joint actions to secure their future.
- The declaration includes undertaking studies on health issues of the rhinos, their potential diseases and taking necessary steps; collaborating and strengthening wildlife forensics for the purpose of investigation and strengthening of trans-boundary collaboration among India, Nepal and Bhutan for the conservation and protection of the Greater one-horned rhino.
- It has also agreed to strengthen protection regimes, intelligence gathering and real time sharing of intelligence information on rhino crime and its horn trade to secure the rhino population within and between range countries.
- The countries have also decided to initiate research on various habitat parameters, including invasive species threatening the suitable habitats of Asian rhinos and take optimally manage the habitats.
- It has also decided to explore possibilities of expanding rhino ranges within the country or between rhino range countries for optimal population management.
- The meeting also decided to identify connectivity and corridors across international boundaries and keep them functional, safe and secure for free movement of Asian rhinos and other wildlife.
- The meet was organized by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) in collaboration with IUCN Asian Rhino Specialist Group, WWF-India and Aaranyak.
Article Related Questions
Which of the following statement is/are correct regarding Asian Rhinos?
1.There are three species of Asian Rhinos- Javan, Sumatran and The Great One-horned Rhino.
2.The Great One-horned rhinos are the only Asian Rhinos with one-horn.
3.All the three species of Asian Rhinos are found in the Indian sub-continent.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
1.1 and 2 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 only