New white revolution and Operation Flood
Posted on : 18 Dec 2019Views: 638
- India celebrates National Milk Day on 26th November in memory of Dr Verghese Kurien, fondly known as the Father of White Revolution.
- In 2014, all the dairy majors of the country, along with the Indian Dairy Association, resolved to observe Dr Kurien’s birth anniversary on 26th November as National Milk Day.
- National Milk Day is celebrated to promote benefits related to milk and milk industry and to create awareness among people about the importance of milk and milk products.
- India is celebrating 98th birth anniversary of Dr. Kurien this year.
- In the year 1970, ‘Operation Flood’ was launched as a National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) project.
- It transformed India from a milk-deficient nation into the world’s largest milk producer, surpassing the US in 1998.
- It created a national milk grid linking producers throughout India with consumers in over 700 towns and cities, reducing seasonal and regional price variations while ensuring that the producer gets a major share of the price consumers pay, by cutting out middlemen.
- All this was achieved not merely by mass production, but by production by the masses; the process has been called the white revolution. This is known as his ‘billion-litre idea’.
- India is looking to achieve new white revolution for increasing its milk production.
Article Related Questions
National Milk Day in India was celebrated recently and new white revolution was reiterated. What are the major developments that India has achieved in the diary sector?
1.India is world leader in milk production since last 15 years and the credit goes to small producers.
2.India has successfully achieved new white revolution for increasing its milk production
Choose the correct option
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 1 only