Opening of Siachen Glacier for Tourism
Posted on : 06 Dec 2019Views: 194
- About 35 years after it was closed down for civilians, Siachen Glacier, the world's highest battlefield, was declared open for tourists.
- It a major decision ahead of the creation of the Union Territory of Ladakh where the region is located.
- The step has been taken to boost tourism in Ladakh and give people a window to appreciate the tough work done by Army jawans and engineers in extreme weather and inhospitable terrains.
- The Siachen Glacier at the height of around 20,000 ft in the Karakoram Range is known as the highest militarised zone in the world where the soldiers have to battle frostbite and high winds.
- Defence Minister inaugurated `Col Chewang Rinchen Setu', a strategically important bridge, over Shyok River in Ladakh region.
- The 430-meter-long bridge has been built by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) and connects Durbuk and Daulat Beg Oldie in Eastern Ladakh.
- In 1949, military representatives of India and Pakistan signed the U.N.-mediated Karachi Agreement, establishing a cease-fire line in Kashmir following the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947.
- Operation Meghdoot: Pakistan, in the early 1980s, also started sending expeditions there, triggering an alarm in India that it could be a ploy to capture the strategically important region. Wary of Pakistani misadventure, India rushed its troops in 1984 under 'Operation Meghdoot' and has ever since maintained strategic control of the glacier.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding “Siachen Glacier”
1.It is the world's highest battlefield.
2.It is located in the Union Territory of Ladakh.
3.Recently, Col Chewang Rinchen Setu', a strategically important bridge, over Shyok River in Ladakh region has been inaugurated.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1, 2 and 3