Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
Posted on : 27 Jan 2020Views: 226
- Fifty years after being disinvited from the 1969 Conference of Islamic Countries in Rabat in Morocco at Pakistan’s behest, India made its maiden appearance at the foreign ministers’ meeting of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on March 1, 2019 as a “guest of honor”.
- This is the first time India has been invited to the OIC after 1969, when then Industrial development minister Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed was disinvited on arriving at Morocco, after Pakistan’s President Yahya Khan lobbied against Indian participation.
- The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) is the second largest inter-governmental organization after the United Nations with a membership of 57 states spread over four continents.
- The Organization is the collective voice of the Muslim world. It endeavors to safeguard and protect the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony among various people of the world.
- The Organization was established upon a decision of the historical summit which took place in Rabat, Kingdom of Morocco in 1969 following the criminal arson of Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied Jerusalem.
- The OIC has reserved its membership for Muslim-majority countries. Russia, Thailand, and a couple of other small countries have Observer status. International Organizations like: United Nations (UN) (1976), Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) (1977), League of Arab States (LAS) (1975), African Union (AU) (1977), Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) (1995) are also given observer status.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
1.OIC is the second largest inter-governmental organization representing the collective voice of Muslim world.
2.United Nations has observer status at OIC.
3.India was recently invited to the foreign ministers’ meeting of OIC for the first time.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.1 and 3 only
Right Ans : 1 and 2 only