Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs)
Posted on : 04 Dec 2019Views: 462
- These groups are among the most vulnerable section of our society as they are few in numbers, have not attained any significant level of social and economic development and generally inhabit remote localities having poor infrastructure and administrative support.
- 75 such groups have been identified and categorized as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs).
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs is implementing the scheme of “Development of PVTGs” which covers these 75 PVTGs for the activities like education, housing, land distribution, land development, agricultural development, animal husbandry, construction of link roads, installation of non-conventional sources of energy for lighting purpose, social security or any other innovative activity meant for the comprehensive socio-economic development of PVTGs.
- Under the scheme, State Governments submits Conservation-cum-Development (CCD) Plans on the basis of their requirement. 100% grants-in-aid are made available to States as per the provisions of the scheme.
- Odisha has the highest number of PVTGs.
- How they are identified:
- Government of India designed a procedure to identify PVTGs. According to the procedure, the state governments or UT governments submit proposals to the Central Ministry of Tribal Welfare for identification of PVTGs.
- After ensuring the criteria is fulfilled, the Central Ministry selects those groups as PVTGs.
- The characteristics of PVTGs:
- In 1973, the Dhebar Commission created Primitive Tribal Groups (PTGs) as a separate category, who are less developed among the tribal groups.
- In 2006, the Government of India renamed the PTGs as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs).
- PVTGs have some basic characteristics -they are mostly homogenous, with a small population, relatively physically isolated, social institutes cast in a simple mould, absence of written language, relatively simple technology and a slower rate of change etc.
Article Related Questions
Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups are one of the most less developed among the tribal groups among all; consider the following statements regarding them
1.Dhebar Commission created Primitive Tribal Groups (PTGs) as a separate category,who are less developed among the tribal groups.
2.Madhya Pradesh has the highest number of PVTGs.
3.100% grants-in-aid are made available to States as per the provisions of the scheme.
Which of the above statement is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only