Posted on : 29 Jan 2020Views: 3079
- The state government of Jharkhand tried to amend the Chotanagpur Tenancy Act, 1908 and Santhal Parganas Tenancy Act, 1876 to facilitate easier land acquisition norms which added to the problem for tribal community. However,They were also withdrawn later on.
- These decisions gave rise to the Pathalgarhi incidents in the tribal belt demanding implementation of the FRA and provisions of the Panchayats (Extension of Scheduled Areas) Act (PESA), 1996.
- Pathalgadi, having its origin in a resistance movement by tribals during British rule, is a practice of raising huge stone plaques at village outskirts with warnings to outsiders not to enter and declaring the gram sabha,or village council, the only sovereign authority.
- Pathalgadi movement has associated with the Munda tribal community.
- They had started Pathalgadi by engraving these PESA provisions in all the villages of Jharkhand to increase awareness among the tribal people about their rights.
- In Munda tribal custom, placement of a huge stone marks the death of a person.
- The Pathalgadi movement draws on this tradition of honouring the community’s ancestors
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements with regard to Pathalgadi movement
1.Khond tribal community was associated with this movement.
2.The movement was originated in Assam.
3.Tribals raised huge stone plaques at village outskirts with warnings to outsiders not to enter during the movement.
Which of the above statements is/are incorrect?
2.1 and 2 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 2 only