Posted on : 13 Dec 2019Views: 1050
- POSHAN Abhiyaan (National Nutrition Mission) was launched in 2018 by the Prime Minister in Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan.
- It targets to reduce level of under-nutrition and other related problems by ensuring convergence of various nutrition related schemes
- It also targets stunting, under-nutrition, anaemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and low birth rate.
- It will monitor and review implementation of all such schemes and utilize existing structural arrangements of line ministries wherever available.
- Its large component involves gradual scaling-up of interventions supported by on-going World Bank assisted Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Systems Strengthening and Nutrition Improvement Project (ISSNIP) to all districts in the country by 2022.
- Its vision is to ensure attainment of malnutrition free India by 2022.
Implementation and Strategy
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is implementing POSHAN Abhiyaan in 315 districts in first year, 235 districts in second year and remaining districts will be covered in the third year.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan is rolled out in three phases from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- Implementation strategy would be based on intense monitoring and Convergence Action Plan right up to the grass root level.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan targets to reduce stunting, under-nutrition, anaemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and reduce low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% per annum respectively. Although the target to reduce Stunting is at least 2% p.a., Mission would strive to achieve reduction in Stunting from 38.4% (NFHS-4) to 25% by 2022 (Mission 25 by 2022).
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements about POSHAN Abhiyaan
1.It aims at improving the education among women.
2.It was launched in 2018 by the Prime Minister in Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan.
3.Implementing agency is Ministry of women and child development.
4.It also targets stunting, under-nutrition, anaemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and low birth rate.
Which of the following statement(s) given above is/are correct?
1.1 and 4 only
3.1, 2 and 3 only
4.2, 3 and 4 only
Right Ans : 2, 3 and 4 only