Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
Consider the following statements regarding Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
1.The day is celebrated every year to mark the contribution of overseas Indian community in the development of India.
2.It also commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India.
3.The event is organised by the Ministry of tourism once in 2 years.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
- The day is celebrated every year to mark the contribution of overseas Indian community in the development of India. It also commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India on 9 January 1915.
- Established in 2003 the celebratory event is organised by the Ministry of External Affairs every year on this day. In 2015, the day was declared biennial.
- One of the major objectives of this day is to put a focus on reconnecting the Indians living abroad with their roots. It is also a platform for the NRIs to put forth their thoughts and opinions about the development of the country.
- The day also specifically focuses in discussions with the Indian laborers living abroad and the difficulties that they are facing.
- Last year in 2019, it was celebrated in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India and in 2018 it was celebrated in Singapore.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman is a special award which is conferred by the President of India to the PIO (Person of Indian Origin), NRIs or the organisations made by them who have made a significant contribution in building India's ties overseas.