Project Miniature Sun
Posted on : 20 Jan 2020Views: 454
- Nick named as ‘miniature sun’, International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) is the largest plasma based fusion reactor ever built.
- It is the costliest technological project of the 21st century with an estimated construction cost of $25 Billion.
- The project site is located in Cadarache, Southern France.
- The term ‘Thermonuclear’ indicates the nuclear fusion reaction.
- ITER will be two times the size of the largest fusion reactor present and the chamber volume will be 10 times the present one.
- It is worth mentioning here that the mega project is undertaken by USA, Russia, South Korea, China, Japan, European Union and India.
- India has also provided a Cryostat, the world’s largest refrigerator, weighing around 3800 tons and made with stainless steel. It is built by Larsen & Toubro
- It will cover the entire structure and keep the magnetic components at a very low temperature (less than -200OC) for maintaining the superconductivity of magnets.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Project Miniature Sun
1.It is India’s indigenously designed and developed plasma based fusion reactor.
2.It aims to harness fusion energy by mimicking the sun and other stars.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 2 only