Protection of Human Rights (Amendment) Bill, 2019
Posted on : 30 Dec 2019Views: 267
- The Protection of Human Rights (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was introduced in Lok Sabha by the Minister of Home Affairs.
- The Bill amends the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993. The Act provides for a National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), State Human Rights Commissions (SHRC), as well as Human Rights Courts.
- Under the Act, the chairperson of the NHRC is a person who has been a Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. The Bill provides that a person who has been Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, or a Judge of the Supreme Court will be the chairperson of the NHRC.
- The Bill provides for including the chairpersons of the National Commission for Backward Classes, the National Commission for the Protection of Child Rights, and the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities as members of the NHRC.
- The Bill provides that a person who has been Chief Justice or Judge of a High Court will be chairperson of a SHRC.
- The Bill reduces the term of office to three years or till the age of seventy years, whichever is earlier. Further, the Act allows for the reappointment of members of the NHRC and SHRCs for a period of five years. The Bill removes the five-year limit for reappointment.
- The Bill allows the Secretary-General and Secretary to exercise all administrative and financial powers (except judicial functions), subject to the respective chairperson’s control.
- Functions relating to human rights in the case of Delhi will be dealt with by the NHRC.
Article Related Questions
With reference to Protection of Human Rights (Amendment) Bill 2019, consider the following statements
1.The Bill amends the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993.
2.Now, a judge of Supreme Court can also be the chairperson of the NHRC.
3.The Bill reduces the term of office to four years or till the age of sixty five.
Select the correct answer using the code given below
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 2 only