Road Accidents Report 2018
Posted on : 03 Dec 2019Views: 384
- A total of 4.7 lakh road accidents have been reported by States and Union Territories (UTs) in 2018, claiming 1,51,417 lives and causing injuries to 4,69,418 persons. The report says that road accidents last year increased by 0.46% as compared to 2017.
- Over-speeding is the major cause of road accident deaths and accounted for 64.4% of the persons killed.
- National Highways which comprise of 1.94 percent of total road network, accounted for 30.2 per cent of total road accidents and 35.7 per cent of deaths in 2018. State Highways which account for 2.97% of the road length accounted for 25.2 percent and 26.8 percent of accidents and deaths respectively.
- Traffic violations related to driving on the wrong side of the road accounted for 5.8% of the accident related deaths. Use of mobile phones accounted for 2.4% of the deaths with drunken driving accounting for 2.8% of the persons killed.
- Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh remain accounted for the highest number of road accidents and death on account of road accidents respectively in 2018
- Major Reasons for Deaths in Road Accidents in India
- Over-speeding (64.4%)
- No helmet (28.8%)
- No seatbelts (16.14%)
- Driving on Wrong Side (5.8%)
- Drunken Driving (2.8%)
- Using Mobile Phones while Driving (2.4%)
Justice K.S. RadhaKrishnan Committee
- Supreme Court had set up the three-member KS Radhakrishnan panel on road safety in April 2014. The SC had termed the roads in India as “giant killers”
- The main recommendations of the committee were:
- Ban on the sale of alcohol on highways (both state and national) to restrain drunk driving.
- The states were directed to implement laws on wearing helmets.
- Audit of road safety to be implemented by states to ensure the safety standards in the design, construction, and maintenance of roads.
- The committee stressed on the importance of creating awareness among people on road safety rules.
Article Related Questions
Recently, Justice K.S. RadhaKrishnan Committee was in news. It is related to?
4.NPA’s of bank
Right Ans : Road safety