Sangai Festival of Manipur
Posted on : 31 Dec 2019Views: 109
- Every year the State of Manipur celebrates the “Manipur Sangai Festival” from 21st -30th November. The ‘Festival’ is named after the State animal, Sangai, the brow-antlered deer found only in Manipur.
- It started in the year 2010 and has grown over the years into a big platform for Manipur to showcase its rich tradition and culture to the world.
- The festival is labeled as the grandest festival of the State today and helps promote Manipur as a world class tourism destination.
- Every edition of the festival showcases the tourism potential of the state in the field of Arts & Culture, Handloom, Handicrafts, Indigenous Sports, Cuisine, Music and Adventure sports of the state etc.
- Sangai is a medium-sized, brown-antlered deer and is the state animal of Manipur.
- It is classified as endangered as per the IUCN Red List
- The brow-antlered deer is found only in Keibul Lamjao National Park in Manipur. It is largely seen over the floating biomass, locally called “phumdi” in the South Eastern part of Loktak Lake inside the park.
- Phumdi is the most important and unique part of Sangai’s habitat. It is the floating mass of entangled vegetation formed by the accumulation of organic debris and biomass with soil.
Article Related Questions
Sangai Festival was seen in news recently. In this context, consider the following statements
1.It is celebrated annually in the state of Manipur.
2.It is named after Sangai deer which is classified as vulnerable as per IUCN Red List.
3.Keibul Lamjao National Park consists of about 90% population of Sangai deer in the world.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
2.1 and 3 only
3.2 and 3 only
4.None of the above
Right Ans : 1 only