Santhali language has been spoken for the first time in the Rajya Sabha
Posted on : 10 Dec 2019Views: 778
- Santali also known as Santhali, is the most widely-spoken language of the Munda subfamily of the Austroasiatic languages, related to Ho and Mundari, spoken mainly in the Indian states of Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Mizoram, Odisha, Tripura and West Bengal.
- It is a recognized regional language of India per the Eighth Schedule of the Indian Constitution.
- It is spoken by around 7.6 million people in India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal, making it the third most-spoken Austroasiatic language after Vietnamese and Khmer.
- Santali was a mainly oral language until the development of Ol Chiki by Pandit Raghunath Murmu in 1925. Ol Chiki is alphabetic, sharing none of the syllabic properties of the other Indic scripts, and is now widely used to write Santali in India.
- By 92nd Constitutional Amendment Act, 2003, Santhali along with Bodo, Maithili and Dogri were added to the 8th Schedule of the Indian Constitution.
- Sohrai is the principal festival of Santal community.Besides that Baha, Karam, Dansai, Sakrat, Mahmore, Rundo and Magsim are important festivals.
- The Santhal rebellion commonly known as Santhal Hool was a native rebellion in Jharkhand against both the British colonial authority and zamindari system.
- The rebellion was led by the four Murmu Brothers – Sidhu, Kanhu, Chand and Bhairav.
- The rebellion was a revolt against the oppression of the British rule propagated through a distorted revenue system, enforced by the local zamindars, the police and the courts of the legal system.
Article Related Questions
Recently, Santhali language has been spoken for the first time in the Rajya Sabha, consider the following statements regarding Santhali language
1.By 92nd Constitutional Amendment Act, 2003, Santhali was added to the 8th Schedule of the Indian Constitution.
Santhals forms the third largest tribal group in India.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2