Sixth Island Development Agency Meeting
Posted on : 21 Jan 2020Views: 245
- The Union Home Minister, Shri Amit Shah, chaired the sixth meeting of the Island Development Agency (IDA).
- The Island Development Agency reviewed the progress made towards the programme “Holistic development of islands”.
- For the first time in the country, under the guidance of IDA, an initiative of sustainable development in the identified Islands within scientifically-assessed carrying capacity has been taken-up.
- Development Plans with focus on creation of jobs for the islanders through tourism promotion as well as export of seafood and coconut-based products made in the Islands have been prepared and are being implemented in four islands of Andaman & Nicobar and five islands of Lakshadweep.
- In the second phase, suitable sites in 12 more islands of Andaman & Nicobar Islands and 5 islands in Lakshadweep have been covered.
- Model tourism projects both Land-based and Water Villas were planned and bids have been invited for private sector participation. As a unique initiative, to spur investment, it was decided to obtain clearances for implementation of the planned projects up-front.
- All necessary clearances would be in place before bids finalization. Environment and Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) clearances have already been obtained for four exemplary tourism projects of Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- For strengthening infrastructure support, projects for improving air, sea and digital connectivity are also being implemented.
- Port Blair and another 7 islands in Andaman & Nicobar would get digitally connected through submarine optical fibre cable by June, 2020.
- Better communication services would facilitate setting up of Information Technology based and other Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the islands with incentives through Lakshadweep and Andaman & Nicobar Islands Industrial Development Scheme (LANIDS), 2018 notified on 1st January, 2019. The proposed airports in Great Nicobar Island of Andaman & Nicobar and Minicoy Island of Lakshadweep would catalyze the development process in the region.
- Adequate technology-based facilities need to be provided to enhance fish collection, storage, processing and export of value-added products which would provide more jobs and generate additional income for the islands.
About Island Development Agency
- The IDA was set up on June 1 this year following Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s review meeting for the development of islands.
- It will undertake holistic development in the project islands after giving due consideration to unique maritime and territorial bio-diversity of the islands.
- 10 islands namely Smith, Ross, Aves, Long and Little Andaman in Andaman & Nicobar and Minicoy, Bangaram, Suheli, Cherium and Tinnakara in Lakshadweep have been identified for holistic development in the first phase.
- IDA is chaired by Union Home minister.
- Other Members of the IDA including Cabinet Secretary, Home Secretary, Secretary (Environment, Forests and Climate Change), Secretary (Tourism) and Secretary (Tribal Welfare) also participated in the meeting.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Island Development Agency
1.IDA is chaired by Prime Minister
2.Andaman in Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep both have been identified for holistic development in the first phase.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 2 only