Smog Tower in Delhi
Posted on : 31 Dec 2019Views: 228
- The Supreme Court recently directed the Centre and the Delhi government to draw up a comprehensive plan in 10 days to install ‘smog towers’ across the capital to deal with air pollution.
- A ‘smog tower’ being planned for Delhi as an experiment would create a “clean air zone” around it. An estimate made by project experts of the tower’s impact on air quality shows it would reduce 50% of the particulate matter load in an area 1 km in the direction of the wind, as well as 200 metres each along the sides of the tower and against the direction of the wind.
- The filters being installed in it would use carbon nanofibres as a major component and the project will only focus on reducing particulate matter load at present.
- The project is being headed by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay in collaboration with IIT-Delhi and the University of Minnesota. The Central Pollution Control Board is also involved with the project.
- Smog towers are structures designed to work as large-scale air purifiers. They are usually fitted with multiple layers of air filters, which clean the air of pollutants as it passes through them. China, which has been battling air pollution for a few years, has two smog towers — in its capital Beijing and in a northern city called Xi’an. The latter is dubbed as the world largest smog tower and has reportedly brought down PM 2.5 by 19% in an area of around 6 sq. km in the tower’s vicinity.
Article Related Questions
The Supreme Court recently directed Delhi government to install smog towers in India. Consider the following statements in this regard
1.These smog towers will only focus on reducing the particulate matter load in the air.
2.Smog towers are large-scale air-purifiers consisting of carbon nanofibres as filters.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2