Posted on : 05 Dec 2019Views: 292
- Known as the ‘fire and forget’ missiles, Spike are portable by men and are powerful enough to destroy tanks and bust bunkers within four kilometres.
- The SPIKE family of fourth-generation ATM is produced by EuroSpike, a joint venture between Rafael Advanced Defence Systems and Diehl BGT Defence and Rheinmetall Defence.
- It includes three versions, namely SPIKE-MR (medium range), LR (long range) and ER (extended range).
- The SPIKE-MR is a man-portable fire-and-forget missile that can be launched by infantry and special-forces, to accurately strike targets within a 200m to 2,500m range.
- The SPIKE-LR can be launched from a ground-based tripod and light combat vehicles for ranges between 200m and 4,000m.
- The SPIKE-ER is designed for launch by land vehicles, helicopters and naval platforms to defeat tanks within a range of 8km.
- Missiles are fitted with tandem-charge HEAT warhead and IIR seeker for accuracy.
- Other ATGMS of Isreal:
- Orev (upgraded BGM-71 TOW-2)
- LAHAT – fired through smoothbore tank gun tubes of Merkava tanks
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Anti-Tank Guided Missiles–“Spike”
1.It is a ‘fire and forget’ missiles
2.It is been indigenously developed by DRDO
3.Missile is fitted with tandem-charge HEAT warhead and IIR seeker for accuracy.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only