Posted on : 05 Dec 2019Views: 106
- Known as the ‘fire and forget’ missiles, Spike are portable by men and are powerful enough to destroy tanks and bust bunkers within four kilometres.
- The SPIKE family of fourth-generation ATM is produced by EuroSpike, a joint venture between Rafael Advanced Defence Systems and Diehl BGT Defence and Rheinmetall Defence.
- It includes three versions, namely SPIKE-MR (medium range), LR (long range) and ER (extended range).
- The SPIKE-MR is a man-portable fire-and-forget missile that can be launched by infantry and special-forces, to accurately strike targets within a 200m to 2,500m range.
- The SPIKE-LR can be launched from a ground-based tripod and light combat vehicles for ranges between 200m and 4,000m.
- The SPIKE-ER is designed for launch by land vehicles, helicopters and naval platforms to defeat tanks within a range of 8km.
- Missiles are fitted with tandem-charge HEAT warhead and IIR seeker for accuracy.
- Other ATGMS of Isreal:
- Orev (upgraded BGM-71 TOW-2)
- LAHAT – fired through smoothbore tank gun tubes of Merkava tanks
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Anti-Tank Guided Missiles–“Spike”
1.It is a ‘fire and forget’ missiles
2.It is been indigenously developed by DRDO
3.Missile is fitted with tandem-charge HEAT warhead and IIR seeker for accuracy.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 2 only
2.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only