Super Fab Lab
Posted on : 06 Feb 2020Views: 567
- The country's first Super Fab Lab, which will give a major push to the hardware industry in the country and the only such facility outside the U.S., was launched at the Integrated Startup Complex of the Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM).
- The Super Fab Lab will function in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- The Fab Labs concept, the only one outside the U.S., is the brainchild of Dr Neil Gershenfeld, presently the Director of MIT Centre for Bits and Atoms, who set up the first Fab Lab in the U.S. about 17 years ago.
- Dr Gershenfeld was in the city for nearly a week to personally supervise setting up of the Super Fab Lab. Fab Labs are fabrication laboratories offering digital fabrication and computation.
- Relying on Computer Aided Design with additive and subtractive manufacturing, the Super Fab Lab allows researchers, innovators and developers to do things beyond the purview of the states existing fab labs.
- The state-of-art facility enables the state to produce machines locally, for access throughout Kerala. It can be for business, education and almost anything.
- The Super Fab Lab, which is poised to give India’s hardware industry a huge leap by allowing researchers, innovators and developers to do things beyond the purview of the states existing fab labs, will function in collaboration with MIT
- The Super Fab Lab is set to make ISC one of the country’s most sought-after investment hubs, coming as it is after electronics hardware incubator Maker Village and its biotech counterpart Bio-Nest.
Article Related Questions
With reference to Super Fab Lab, consider the following statements
1.It will give a major push to the hardware industry set up at Kerala.
2.It will function in collaboration with the Oxford University.
3.Such facility is currently only in USA.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only