Tarapur Atomic Power Station Project
Posted on : 06 Dec 2019Views: 171
- The Project Affected Persons (PAPs) at Tarapur have been rehabilitated in line with the rehabilitation package formulated by the Maharashtra Government as per the then prevalent laws/acts.
- In addition, Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) undertakes several programmes for the welfare of neighbourhood including PAPs, as a part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). These include providing civic amenities, Healthcare, Education & Skill Development, Infrastructure, Sanitation and Sustainable Development.
- The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and NPCIL have made efforts to employ as many eligible people from among PAPs as possible, considering the requirements of the qualifications and skills required for various jobs in the nuclear power plants.
- The Tarapur Atomic Power Station (TAPS) is located near Boiser in the Thane District of Maharashtra. Begun as India's first atomic power project, the Indian Government decided to utilize Boiling Water Reactors (BWRs) for the plant.
- On 8 May 1964, a contract between the governments of India and the United States was signed for the construction of TAPS.
- Although the United States agreed to supply enriched uranium to TAPS for 30 years, this supply was cut off after the peaceful nuclear explosion at Pokhran in 1974. Since this time France, China, and Russia have all supplied uranium fuel to TAPS.
Article Related Questions
Tarapur Atomic Power Station (TAPS) which was seen recently in news is located in which state of India?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
Right Ans : Maharashtra