Posted on : 30 Dec 2019Views: 208
- In the Philippines, a strong typhoon, 'Phanfone' has killed at least 20 people leaving a trail of devastation through the centre of the country.
- The storm-battered several islands with gusts of 190 km/h.
- Typhoon Phanfone, known locally as Typhoon Ursula, first made landfall on Eastern Samar province on Tuesday, bringing heavy rain and storm surges.
- Phanfone followed a similar path to the devastating Typhoon Haiyan in 2013, which was one of the most powerful storms on record and killed at least 6,000 people.
- Phanfone also hit Boracay, Coron and other holiday destinations that are famed for their white-sand beaches and popular with foreign tourists.
- According to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) about 20 typhoons and storms batter the Philippines each year.
- Earlier this month Typhoon Kammuri, the twentieth to hit the country this year, killed 13 people and damaged more than 8,000 houses.
- The Philippines is the first significant landmass facing the Pacific cyclone belt.
- The Southeast Asian nation is also located in the Pacific “Ring of Fire,” where earthquakes and volcanic eruptions often occur, making the country of more than 100 million people one of the world's most disaster-prone.
Article Related Questions
“Typhoon Phanfone” was seen recently in news caused destruction in which country?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
4.Papua New Guinea
Right Ans : Philippines