United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
Posted on : 20 Jan 2020Views: 237
- Established in 1994, the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) is the sole legally binding international agreement linking environment and development to sustainable land management.
- The Convention addresses specifically the arid, semi-arid and dry sub-humid areas, known as the drylands, where some of the most vulnerable ecosystems and peoples can be found.
- The UNCCD is particularly committed to a bottom-up approach, encouraging the participation of local people in combating desertification and land degradation.
- The new UNCCD 2018-2030 Strategic Framework is the most comprehensive global commitment to achieve Land Degradation Neutrality (LDN) in order to restore the productivity of vast expanses of degraded land, improve the livelihoods of more than 1.3 billion people, and reduce the impacts of drought on vulnerable populations to build.
- The UNCCD secretariat facilitates cooperation between developed and developing countries, particularly around knowledge and technology transfer for sustainable land management.
- The UNCCD collaborates closely with the other two Rio Conventions; the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) with an integrated approach and the best possible use of natural resources.
- Conference of Parties (COP):
- The COP was established by the Convention as the supreme decision-making body.
- It comprises ratifying governments and regional economic integration organizations, such as the European Union.
- Till now COP had held thirteen sessions and 14th session will be held in India.
- It has been meeting biennially since 2001.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
1.It is the sole legally binding international agreement linking environment and development to sustainable land management.
2.India is hosting a UNCCD Conference of Parties for the first time.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2