United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) released Human Development Index 2019
Posted on : 16 Dec 2019Views: 99
- India ranks 129 in UNDP Human Development Index report.
- India’s HDI value has increased by 50 per cent from 0.431 in 1990 to 0.647 in 2018.
- The report is titled ‘Beyond Income, Beyond Averages, Beyond Today: Inequalities in Human Development in the 21st Century’.
- India was at the 130th place on this index in last year’s report.
- Globally, Norway, with a HDI value of 0.954, is at the first rank while Burundi (0.423) is at the bottom.
- As far as India’s neighboring countries are concerned, China ranked 85 and Bangladesh and Pakistan ranked 135 and 152, respectively. Sri Lanka ranked 71 and Maldives ranked 104.
- Why the report is significant
- The Human Development Report 2019 is significant because it focuses on inequalities in development.
- It shows inequalities beyond income which exist in society.
- It also measures loss in the human development progress due to inequalities.
- The report also highlights the gender gaps in development. With a score of 0.829, India is at the 122nd place out of 162 countries.
- HDI is calculated taking into consideration performance of countries on four broad parameters — life expectancy at birth; expected years of schooling; mean years of schooling; and per capita gross national income (PPP).
Article Related Questions
With reference to Human Development Index 2019, consider the following statements
1.UNESCO releases Human Development Index
2.India improved its ranking compared to the previous year
3.Sri Lanka and Maldives are ahead of India in the ranking
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 2 and 3 only