Wetland Conservation Rules
Posted on : 15 Jan 2020Views: 451
- The Ministry of Environment has notified the new Wetland Conservation Rules that prohibit setting up or expansion of industries, and disposal of construction and demolition waste within the wetlands.
- The new Rules also prohibit the conversion for non-wetland uses including encroachment of any kind, besides setting up of any industry and expansion of existing industries within the notified wetlands.
- It prohibited manufacture, handling, storage or disposal of construction and demolition waste — covered under the Construction and Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016 — hazardous substances, electronic waste — covered under the E-Waste (Management) Rules, 2016 — solid waste dumping and discharge of untreated wastes and effluent from industries, cities, towns, villages and other human settlements, within such bodies.
- The ministry has also directed that each state and Union Territory will have to set up an authority that will define strategies for conservation and wise use of wetlands within their jurisdiction.
- The authority shall prepare a list of all wetlands of the State or UT within three months from the date of publication of these rules, develop a comprehensive list of activities to be regulated and permitted within the notified wetlands and their zone of influence
- It shall recommend mechanisms for maintenance of ecological character through promotional activities for land within the boundary of notified wetlands.
- It also directed the authority, to be headed by the state or UT’s environment minister, to undertake measures for enhancing awareness among stakeholders and local communities on values and functions of wetland.
- The authority will also include one expert each in the fields of wetland ecology, hydrology, fisheries, landscape planning and socioeconomics to be nominated by the state government.
- The ministry said it has created a web portal for sharing information regarding implementation of Wetlands Rules where the central government, state governments and UTs are required to upload all relevant information and documents pertaining to wetlands in their jurisdiction.
- “States/UTs are encouraged to develop their own portals and hyperlink the same to the national portal.
- A wetland is a land area that is saturated with water, either permanently or seasonally, and it takes on the characteristics of a distinct ecosystem.
Article Related Questions
The Ministry of Environment has notified the new Wetland Conservation Rules with reference to that consider the following statements
1.It prohibits setting up or expansion of industries within the wetlands.
2.Strategies for conservation and wise use of wetlands would be done by central government.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 1 only