World Malaria Report, 2019
Posted on : 16 Dec 2019Views: 107
- Despite a dip in cases, India still one of the worst-hit countries
- While Africa and India saw the maximum dip in malaria cases between 2017 and 2018, they still accounted for 85 per cent deaths.
- The World malaria report 2019 provides a comprehensive update on global and regional malaria data and trends.
- The report tracks investments in malaria programmes and research as well as progress across all intervention areas: prevention, diagnosis, treatment, elimination and surveillance.
- It also includes dedicated chapters on the consequences of malaria on maternal, infant and child health, the “High Burden to High Impact” approach as well as biological threats to the fight against malaria.
- The 2019 report is based on information received from more than 80 countries and areas with ongoing malaria transmission.
- Nineteen countries in sub-Saharan Africa and India accounted for 85 per cent of the global malaria burden in 2018. Globally 228 million malaria cases were reported in 2018, which is marginally lower than the number of cases in 2017 (231 million), as per the World Malaria Report 2019 released by the World Health Organization.
- India registered a fall of 2.6 million malarial cases in 2018 as compared to previous year. The country also has one of the lowest funding per person at risk of being inflicted with malaria at just US$0.2.
- Despite being the highest burden country in the South-East Asia region, India showed a reduction in reported cases of 51 per cent compared to 2017 and of 60 per cent compared to 2016.
Article Related Questions
Recently, World Malaria Report 2019 was published; consider the following statements regarding it
1.It provides a comprehensive update on global data and trends only.
2.Africa and India saw the maximum dip in malaria cases between 2017 and 2018.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 2 only