Do backward people still need reservation?
The reservation is a topic of prominence particularly in India which is priced globally for its culturally distinct, linguistically diverse and ethnically separated society at large. The variety of tradition and beliefs evolves numerous demands and concerns among diverse society groupingsresulting competition among them. The dominant one has an easier access to all such demands and concerns compared to weaker ones thereby generating a viable demand of Reservation for the weaker ones towards a model theme of 'Egalitarian society' under various provisions of our constitution.
Tracing history one can find a better picture how each flux of people from North western borders came to India. The chronology of races gushed towards India through volatile border are Negroids, Negroits, Austroloids and Indo Europeans etc. The visage and built of these groupings differed. They occupied different landscape within the mainland along physical barriers such as mountains and rivers. Those lots which occupied an isolated space had minimal interaction by the fresh gush of people. Thus such group in future became averse to change and came into the category of ethnic groups and lacks competitive edge to others which interacted and adopted change.
The Govt. classified such group of people either as Schedule Caste, Schedule Tribe or else Backward Class where judging parameter become education and sociality.
Now the question arise do we really need the reservation to uplift some sections and assure these provisions in perpetuity for them and to be politicized during each elections. The answer is categorically No. The reservation provides a neck to neck match to dominant one but such provisions should be subject to change as soon as one gains the capability to stand at par with others. However the contrary is there in our country; each community wants a tag of Govt. to secure their seat either in educational institution or seeking job or else reserving a seat in Parliament etc. The political class has little to talk about seeking capability and skill to remove the backward tag for the community represented by them. This itself generates inequity and backlash and sometimes conflicts.
Improving the innate capability of the people should be the model focus rather than easing out some sections lowering evaluation criteria and make them stay relaxed and often held back under the policy of reservation.
Another question arises now that how the policy of reservation should be implemented. The answer can be categorize in following:-
- Monitoring the backwardness of a community where model aim should be to remove their backwardness through skill development.
- The deadlines to be given for gaining the competitive edge for a particular community beyond which their reservation tags to be reworked.
- The political class should be restrained making it an election agenda; suitable law to be roped in to curtail it.
- The backward community to be should be upgrade with the help of technology such as IT.
- The concept of reservation based on historical sufferings of a particular community not be used. Instead the young generation should be made meritorious by inculcating and providing skills.
The political class of India and the yearn for political mileage had precariously hindered the community mindset towards Reservation. The people are more concerned to be reserved under the Govt. brand and rest shall all be finer for them. The Supreme Court in Indira Swahney case followed by M Nagraj case has considered following approaches towards reservation policy:-
- Reservations should be subject to a ceiling of 50%
- Reservation should only be provided at entry points and their implementation in promotions is unconstitutional
- The state to determine the backwardness of a community.
- Efficiency of administration to be insured while implementing the policy of reservation. Thus the approach towards Reservation should be more holistic rather than micro vision by the political class. The independent regulator can offer a solution whose functioning to be subjected to corrective feedback by community, Govt. and apex court.
- Reservation Policy for Backward Classes
- Does India still need a reservation for backward peoples?
- Essay on Do backward people still need reservation?
- Do backward classes of India need reservation?