Before talking about education system we must have a small introduction about education. In general term education is an effort of the senior people to transfer knowledge of basic rules and values to the younger members of society. Hence it is an institution, which plays an important role in integrating an individual with his society and in maintaining the stability of culture. According to Nelson Mandela, "education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
Now we must talk about the differences between literacy and education. Literacy is about acquiring the skills and learning for benefit of the people, society and country. Hence the concept of education is bigger than literacy. According to Gandhiji," education means all-round development of people's mind and spirit. Hence literacy is not the end nor beginning of education."
Now we can talk about the education system of India. During ancient times Indian society, the number of educational institution was too small and the content of education was sophisticated and related with religion, philosophy medicine, mathematics and. However in ancient period educations were open to all students irrespective of cast, color, creed and gender.
In medieval times education was confined to the upper castes. The organizational structure was hereditary. The lower castes and women were denied education. Hence Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar said to be 'Educate, Agitate and Organize.'
Now days as there are development in education, technology and communication the modern education is general, open and liberal to all. The world-view is scientific-rational; the theme consists of freedom, equality and denial of faith in superstitions. The course content are rationalistic and in the tune with the needs of the present day society. Unfortunately education has become just to gain degree and job. This is because the Britishers had introduced the modern education. They themselves were masters hence they don't required masters. They need servants to run the administration of the country. Now we are free from Britishers so our education system must be free from narrow mindedness. Improvement in education must involve: -
- Development in moral and esthetic values.
- Development in tolerance.
- Promotion of physical development, art and culture.
- Development in general knowledge and current affairs.
- Education must strengthen to promote selflessness, entrepreneurship and denial of an unjust compromise.
Unfortunately in our educational system of primary sections are least qualified and least paid. Hence to avoid all these things high qualified teachers must be appointed and they should be well paid so that to provide quality education in their early age to strengthen their plinth.
The constitution provided the right to education in article 21[A]. To give effect to right to education, parliament passed the right of children to free and compulsory education act or RTE act on 4th August 2009.
Main features of the RTE act are as follows:-
- Free and compulsory education to all children of India in the age group of 6 to 14.
- No child shall be held back, expelled or required to pass a board examination.
- Completion of elementary education.
- RTE calls for a fixed student-teacher ratio.
- Mandates improvement in quality of education.
- School infrastructure [where there is problem] to be improved in three years, else recognition cancelled.
- No child shall be denied admission in a school for lack of age proof.
- Provides for 25 percent reservation for economically disadvantaged communication in admission to Class One in all private school.
- Financial burden will be shared between state and central government.
- A child above six years of age who has not been admitted in any school then he or she shall be admitted in a class appropriate to his or her age.
- Saurabh Sen
- Suggest improvements in our education system
- Way To Improve The Indian Education System
- Measures to improve quality education in schools
- How to improve our education system
- Essay on how to improve education system in india
- Essay on ways To Improve The Indian Education System
- Essay on education system in india
- Essay on challenges of indian education system