- India and Ireland sign 3 agreements between PM Manmohan Singh and Bertie Ahern
- "Delhi Declaration" signed between Saudi Arabian King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz al Saud and Dr. Manmohan Singh
- India and France sign 9 agreements upon French President Jacques Chirac's visit. Issues declaration on development of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.
- March 2 declaration on Indo-US nuclear deal George Bush-Manmohan Singh talks.
- India and Australia sign six agreements on Prime Minister John Howard's visit.
- India and Chile enter preferential Trade Agreement. The Indian and Chinese Defence Ministries sign the first ever MoU on military ties.
- India and China inaugurate trade through Nathula pass linking Tibet and Sikkim.
- India and Germany launch major science and technology initiatives.
- Visit of Chinese president Hu Jintao to India, joint declaration promoting trade issued.
- New Delhi and Manila sign defence accord.
- India and South Korea agree to conclude economic agreement by 200
- India and Myanmar sign MoU on alternative route through Mizoram for proposed oil pipeline.
- 7 agreements signed with Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov.
- India and Japan agree upon bilateral peace partnership.
- India and Brazil speaks of strategic partnership.
- India and Pakistan agree to form an Anti-Terrorism Mechanism.
- India and South Africa sign 25-point joint Tshwane Declaration promoting strategic partnership.
- US President George Bush signs the Henry J. Hyde United States-India Peaceful Atomic Energy Cooperation Act, 200
Happenings at the UN:
- India elected to newly created Human Rights Council of the UN
- India signs the Convention for Suppression of Acts of Nuclear Terrorism at the UN headquarters.
- The UN General Assembly adopts the United Nations Global Counter Terrorism Strategy.
- South Korean Foreign Minister is nominated the new Secretary General. Shashi Tharoor of India lost the race for the coveted post.
- UN imposes financial and military sanctions on North Korea for conducting nuclear test.
- The UN Security Council imposes sanctions on Iran.
- 22nd Asian Parliamentarian's Meet on Population and Development- New Delhi
- Asian Mayors' Conference in Dehra Dun
- G8 summit in St.Petersburg- Focus on "Global Energy Security"
- 16th International AIDS conference-Toronto
- 14th NAM summit, Cuba
- India specific Special Economic Zone Act
- Contempt of Courts (Amendment) bill passed
- National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions (Amendment) Bill
- Parliament (Prevention of Disqualification) Amendment Bill 2006 -Office of Profit bill
- Actuaries Bill, 2005 passed
- Protection of Human Rights (Amendment) Bill
- Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Amendment Bill, 2006
- Bill to rename Pondicherry to Puducherry
- Bill to rename Uttaranchal to Uttarakhand
- Bill to accord central university status to Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, Hyderabad
- Quota Bill- 27 % reservations for OBC in Central higher educational institutions
- Scheduled Tribes and other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Bill, 2006
- Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2006
- Indian Navy's first UAV squadron commissioned at Kochi
- IAF decommissions MIG-25
- Agni III launch from Wheeler Island off the Orissa coast fails
- Vice-Admiral Sureesh Mehta appointed next chief of Naval Staff
- Vice-Admiral Rustom Faramroze Contractor appointed as Director General of Coast Guard
- Indian Iron and Steel Company merge with SAIL
- BARC Golden Jubilee celebration at Kalpakkam
- N. Gopalaswami appointed new Chief Election Commissioner
- GSLV-FO2 launch from Sriharikota fails
- 39th Jnanpith Award- Vinda Karandikar
- LIC completes 50 years
- Pluto looses it planetary status at assembly in International Astronomical Union in Prague.
- Arvind Kejriwal is winner of 2006 Ramon Magsaysay award
- Commonwealth suspends Fiji
- Anousheh Ansari- first woman space tourist
- SAFTA becomes operational
- Margaret Chan- new WHO Director General
- French Open- Justine Henin Hardine (Women's), Rafel Nadal (Men's)
- Wimbledon Singles, US Open, tennis Masters Cup- Roger Federer
- World Cup Hockey- Germany
- Unified world Chess Championship- Vlaimir Kramnik
- Casio World Open, Nippon Series JT Cup (Golf)- Jeev Milkhs Singh
- Asian Hopman Cup- Sania Mirza
- Davis Cup- both singles and doubles titles go to Russia
- FIFA footballer of the year- Fabio Cannavaro
- FIFA women's player of the year- Marta, Brazil
- Durand Cup- Dempo (Goa)
- India International Badminton championship- Saina Nehwal
- Champions Trophy, Hockey- Netherlands
- Rajiv Gandhi Khal Ratna Award- Pankaj Advani
- India finishes 8th in Doha Asian Games
Current Affairs Quiz - new